A Multicultural City
- More than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts
- More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the area
- 38% of Houstonians are Caucasian, 36 % Hispanic, 17 % African-American and 7 % Asian
- Houston Grand Opera is the nation’s fifth largest opera company
- Tony Award-winning Alley Theatre is the country’s third-oldest resident theater
- Houston Ballet is the nation’s fifth-largest dance company
- Houston Symphony Orchestra is one of the oldest performing-arts organizations in Texas
- Houston’s Museum District is home to 20 museums.
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston is the sixth largest museum in the country, ranking 8th in attendance
- The Menil Collection has one of the finest private art collections in the world
- The Museum of Natural Science is one of the most visited science museums in the US.
- The Houston Children’s Museum is in the top 20 list of best family museums in the country to visit
- Houston is one hour from the beaches of Galveston Island
- Just 30 minutes from Clear Lake, a 2,000-acre water mecca for boating enthusiasts
- The colorful cluster of restaurants, shops and boat slips at Kemah Boardwalk lies just 40 minutes from Houston
- Just north of the city, The Woodlands and Lake Conroe offer miles of forests and open water
- The Houston area offers more than 165 public and private golf courses.