To apply for a Social Security number:

  • Complete and Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
  • Show documents proving:
  • Work eligibility
  • Age
  • Identity
  • Passport
  • VISA
  • An I-94 card
  • Marriage Certificate for spouse
  • Birth Certificate
  • Take your completed application and original documents to the following Social Security office:

10703 Stancliff Rd.

Houston, TX 77099

Work eligibility:

For most foreign workers, you only need to see an I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Some foreign workers also must show their work permits from DHS (I – 766 or I - 688B).

Age: You present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, you can bring your Passport or a document issued by DHS to prove your age.

Identity: Social Security will ask to see a current DHS document. Acceptable documents include:

  • Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
  • I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
  • Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).

You may use one document for two purposes. For example, you may use a DHS work permit as proof of both work and eligibility and identity.

However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSN cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. They also cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for a document.

Your card will be mailed to you as soon as all the information and documents have been verified.

Keep your Social Security Card in a safe place. It is an important document.

Do not carry it with you.